Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jude by Kate Morgenroth



I just put down Jude by Kate Morgenroth. I finished it in a couple of days, and I think it was such a quick read for me because of character development. I love a good, believable, honest character, and Jude is just that. When we first encounter 15 year old Jude, his drug dealing father has just been murdered in front of him. With in the first few pages, he discovers his mother did not abandon him, as his father had told him. The truth? His father had kidnapped him and Jude's mother was, in fact, the DA of a neighboring county. The story is not, however, a drama telling of their difficult reconcilation and relationship building, but more of a suspense/mystery which is a little complicated to go into. I felt compelled to read on, and quickly because I felt connected and interested in Jude, his story, his emotions and his experiences all made me like him and want to know more. The plot didn't hurt either, as I couldn't wait to get it all unraveled. The ending was mostly satisfying, but I felt a little sad to leave Jude behind and move on to my next book. This was a really great YA novel, but it does have some "mature" themes dealing with drugs and prison time, and there is a fair amount of profanity in it. There is, after all, some prison time involved, but I'd say the author did a good job of keeping the prison setting in the background and not going too far with profanity/violence in prison, while still making it a believable experience for Jude. Borrowing from movie ratings, I'd give this a PG-13 rating.

12 comments:

Mercutio said...

Trent Anderson
2nd Period

Juliet said...

Lindsay
Period 2
This is the one I read for my summer assignment and I thought it was amazing!

Friar Lawrence said...

Fern Van Vliet
Period 5

Emela said...

i enjoyed this book a lot and would definetly recommend it to others. it was amazing and not what i expected and that made me like it even more.

Emela Elkaz
period: 5

Romeo said...

David Nsengiyunva
5 period
I read this book for my summer assignment and its a great book. It didn't bore me like other books that I've read over the past summers.

Lady Capulet said...

Brianna Bethea
5th period

Roy S. said...

Roy S. Period 6

This was the bok I originaraly chose to read, becase no other books were avalible. It was interesting, as well as intruging

juliet capulet said...

bianca comer per. 5
I thought this book was REALLY interesting to read. I didnt want it to end! =)

Andy Gonzalez said...

I really enjoyed reading this book.
Andres Gonzalez period 5

brandon maya said...

brandon maya
6th period

CROW said...

Jude was cool.

Katrina said...

Katrina Miller
2nd period
I read this book for my summer reading assignment and it was the kind of book I liked it had a bit of adventure and it was life learning too.