Friday, May 9, 2008

Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Another book bites the dust! I just finished Deadline by Chris Crutcher. Here's the premise: Ben Wolfe finds out during his cross country physical before school starts that he has an aggressive terminal blood disease, and will in all likelihood die within a year. He decides to keep the news to himself, and live an entire life in the short time he has left. He will be fearless and take risks he never thought he could. Seems pretty predictable and after school special-ish, right? Well, if that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed. Crutcher delivers a great story, with some twists and turns built into the plot and the characters. Speaking of characters, I think he did a great job of developing Ben and making him unique, believable and likeable. I understood Ben's decisions and I usually agreed with him. Ditto for most of the other characters, but I think Crutcher put most of his energy into Ben. Also, to Crutcher's credit, he manages to write a novel about a terminally ill teenager that is not sappy and preachy. Of course I cried at the end, but if you know me at all that shouldn't surprise you (there have been appliance commercials that have made me tear over) and I appreciate that Crutcher was able to make me care about the story, and not drag out the end and manipulate my emotions. It is a story of Ben's life, not his death. Rave reviews aside, a warning to sensitive readers: Crutcher is the author of at least a dozen award winning, well written, insightful young adult novels; however, he writes in the voice of today's teenager. Unfortunately, that means he uses a pretty good amount of profanity, and there is some talk of sex. If you've read any other book by Crutcher, you can expect this one to be on the same level. For me the language was a bit over the top, but didn't spoil the deeper meaning of the book and Ben's message.

8 comments:

Destiny said...

Destiny Martinez
period 2

I agree with all that you said. I thought it was going to just another book with the same plot, I was proven wrong. I think i will continue to read from Chris Crutcher.

Mercutio said...

I really enjoyed this book. I would have never read it if you wouldnt have put it on the summer reading list.

luckystar said...

Lindsay St.Germain
period 5

I really liked this book and I couldn't put it down till the end. When I finished the book I cryed because he died before he could graduate. I really didn't want to read it at first but it turned out really good. I'm happy I chose this book.

JeSuS CaRdEnAs said...

This book really got to me. It was amazing in many ways, such as not only telling life lessons, but as you said, not making it to preachy or sappy. I am thankful you put it on the list or I probably never would have read it.

Amy Frauen said...

Amy Frauen
period 6

I liked this book :D it was crazzzzy. I never thought all that stuff would happen to Ben in his last year. Even if he didn't tell anyone, it still wouldn't be a normal year.

Benvolio Montague said...

This book was awesome it kept my attention and made my mind foreshadow about what would happen next. I didn't like the crude language but besides that it was all good. BEN FOR PRESIDENT!

Micahel Romero said...

Michael Romero
6th period

I really liked this book. I would stayed up really late just to find out what would happen. The other reason i liked the book was because i could relate to Ben in many ways.

Romeo Montague said...

Julian Najera
Period 2

I really liked this book and I look forward to reading other books by Chris Crutcher.